Thursday, May 3, 2012

We're expecting...sorta!


Outside under our covered carport sits a shelf.  And on that shelf sits a nest with three little eggs...cardinal eggs to be exact.  My husband found the nest sitting on top of his ladder last
weekend.  And being how he needed the ladder, he carefully moved the nest to the shelf. 

We weren't sure the parents of the eggs would come back
but she did.  Here's she is sitting on her nest.  In an effort not to disturb her any more
than I have to I took her picture from far away with my telephoto lense.


With any luck we should have baby cardinals in less than a week.  And ten days after that
they will leave the nest and continue to be fed by the male for another two weeks. 
Cool...huh?!  Who knew they would leave the nest so soon.

8 comments:

paulette said...

INCREDIBLE!! What a beautiful bird!! Can't wait to see the babies!!
P

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...odd sort of place to leave a nest isn't it? How cute!!

Irina said...

wow! this is amazing! you're so lucky to be able to witness this!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Very cool! :-) I hope you can get a photo of the babes before they leave the nest. :-)

Jill said...

Yes, very cool!

Jen BK said...

I hope you get to see them FLY...I always miss it, but this year I got to see it and IT WAS MAGIC. They just trust their wings....amazing!!!!

Phyllis said...

What a sweet looking bird! Love the orange beak & tail, so color coordinated :-))!

Talin's Corner said...

Wow, that is incredible. It is amazing how they can make such a pretty nest.