Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Still plugging away...

...at all those old projects. A good share of my time was spent finishing up the applique for the center of my Our Home Sweet Home quilt from the Sep/Oct 2006 issue of Fon's & Porter's.  Here is the original quilt shown in the magazine.


And here is mine...so far.


I didn't care for the applique in the original design so I drafted my own.  I just love the applique design that I came up with. 

All the units for this 108" square quilt are completed and ready to be attached in rounds.  But I have another issue that needs to be dealt with first...the house.  What was I thinking?  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  But now that I look at it, its glaringly obvious that the house is too dark and blends into it's setting too much. 

To fix this problem and make the quilt even more individualized, I'm thinking about ripping out the house block and replacing it with a fancy star.  I don't plan to use the exact star block you see below.  It's just to give you...and myself...an idea of what it would look like.  Opinions?



While I was contemplating on the house vs. star dilemma  I managed to complete blocks minus 1 for these two quilts.  I hate it when I miscut.


The first one is made from charms. I know it's not real pretty to look at but I think after some sashing strips are added it'll look much better. Don't you think?

For the second one I used my Studio and Rob Peter to Pay Paul die to cut up a Tula Pink layer cake and some background. I'm thinking the blocks would look better on point.  Maybe have them on point surrounding a large applique of some sort?  As you can see I don't have a plan for them so they'll go back into the closet till I decide what to do with them.


Well hat's all I have to share today. 

Next up...the Blog Birthday/Follower giveaway thing.  I promise!  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to really like the star block in that quilt.i agree the house does nothing for it.

Sinta Renee said...

I love all of your projects. I do agree with Mary... you are right about the house and that the star would be a good way to go instead. I love your other projects... and I wouldn't have thought about the Rob Peter blocks being on point. I really like them the way they are and the secondary circle they make. But being on point might make the blocks look even more complex. (you have me turning my head to try and see what it looks like)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

LOL~ I just turned my head too! :-) I love the idea of the star instead of the house~ and I love the other two sets of blocks. I like on-point for the Peter/Paul, but I think I'd do the applique around the outside instead of splitting the design... you have really been sewing! Way to go!

Doodlebug Gail said...

I agree that the house doesn't show up enough. A fancy star block will look great.

Strlady said...

You have been a busy beaver! Wow.
I definitely agree on the house. It makes a huge hole inthe center of the quilt. The Star.. Fantastic idea! Love it!
Planning on going to the Plano Quilt show this weekend?