Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Same Dyes, Vastly Different Results

Wow...what a small change can impact dyeing results.

Below is a picture of one of two pieces I did yesterday.  It came out as I had anticipated.  
As the ice melted it dripped the color the way I'm used to seeing.  


You will notice each color has stay mostly pure and blends only where it came in contact 
with the color next to it. Here are a couple close up shots to see what I'm talking about.




And here is the second piece...


My jaw dropped when I opened this one!

Like I said before, both pieces were dyed with the exact same colors.  The difference...besides the fact that they were folded differently...this one was dyed on an incline.  

Here are some close up shots.



As you can see, dyeing on an incline allowed the colors to commingle
 as they ran down the pieces to the bottom of the drain pan.


I am sooooo over the moon with these pieces!

The first piece is destined to be cut up to becoming butterfly wings for a large 
applique project.  It would also make some beautiful applique flowers!

As for the incline one...I'm not sure what I'll do with 
it yet but the possibilities are endless!

7 comments:

Cheryl M. said...

Love your dyed pieces. I think the second one I would have to make a whole cloth quilt with due to I would not be able to cut it up into pieces.
Would like to know if you folded the fabric using a reference to a book or web info. If so can you share your source of information. Also I read your post where you did ice dying with the dye on top of the ice and dye under the ice. Which way did you do these pieces.
Cheryl M.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Those are both wonderful, but I really, really love the incline one!
I'm just curious to know if you've found a source for violet MX dye--because I don't like the way my violets separate. Finding one might get me back into dyeing again!

Jackie said...

Love both pieces. I've done snow dyeing and have to say it's one of my favourite ways of dyeing fabric, never tried ice. I've never folded the fabric just bunched it up but seeing your results I would like to give folding a try. I would as well appreciate knowing how you did the folding.

margaret said...

an s why you are so thrilled 2 lovely pieces of fabric you have created and no one else not even you! will be able to reproduce them so truly unique Do hope you will be playing again.

Michele said...

Lovely! What a fun project!! Amazing what you see!

Unknown said...

So, So BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I'M STUNNED!!

Lynette said...

Wow! What a fantastic turn out for both of your pieces. :D