Tuesday, July 12, 2011

*Sigh*

Yesterday our son left to go back to Iraq.  And he was kind enough to text at 6:45 this morning to let us know he was in Germany...what a good son!  I'm going to have to give him a world time zone chart.

Thank you for all your comments and advice regarding my son's quilt.  I've decided to go ahead finish the star quilt AND make him his "Marvin" quilt.  For those of you that don't know who Marvin the Martian is, here is the picture my darling son wants made into a quilt.



Yeah...I know!  What the frick?  Is he TRYING to kill me?


I've started to formulate some ideas on how to pull this off...but not right now.

Yesterday as I'm sitting at the airport with my son I starting about all the things I needed to get done...a blog tutorial, quilts for Festival, quilts for family, a blog giveaway...dishes and laundry...ugh.  And what do I do when I get home?



I do the complete opposite!  For several years I've been wanting to start a spiderweb quilt.  And yesterday was the day.  I've completed 5 of 20 blocks.  I might make more blocks if there is any red leftover after the first 20 are done.



I'm so tickled with how it is turning out!  I used Bonny Hunter's tutorial to get started.  If you're interested in making this quilt too you can find the tutorial here.

P.S.  I promise to post my new giveaway and that flower tutorial THIS week!  I'm counting on you to hold me to it.


11 comments:

rubyslipperz1052 said...

I have a sad, big bottom lipped face...I'm sad that you had to say good-bye to your son.

That's a GREAT Marvin! it will make a really coool quilt!

I like the spider/star quilt too...that really looks like a fun one to sew.

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

{{hugs}} I'll keep your DS in my T&P's! I remember well when hubby was traveling over there and I grew quite a few gray hairs~ at least that's my story on how I got them!! ;-)

I LOVE your string blocks!! The red just shines! I'm going to try to resist for a bit though. ;) lol

Have a happy day!

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you Marvin the Martian! Now I understand why you were not very happy to make such a quilt but I am sure that you'll like it when it will be done.
I love the colors of your spiderweb quilt. They are the ones that you need for the moment.
Friendly regards

Lori said...

I love it! I imagine it was good therapy for you to have some fun in your sewing room.

Prayers for your son....

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

Oh I love love LOVE the spider blocks you made - the red is fantastic!! I may have to make this my next project.. ... oh, perhaps I should finish some UFOs first.

Yvette said...

You made me laugh out loud with Marvin the Martian. I love anything Bonnie Hunter.

Sherrill said...

I know you'll be a good mom and have that martian quilt completely finished by the time your son gets home!! Glad it's you and not me..I wouldn't have a CLUE where to begin on that quilt! LOL and your spiderweb is GORGEOUS!!

Fleurette said...

Thanks for introducing Marvin, can't wait to see your interpretation. Gorgeous spiderwebs, I love the bright colours!

Talin's Corner said...

Oh, I never knew his name was Marvin the Martian. I remember him from my childhood...Bugs Bunny was one of my favorites. I love the way you spiderweb blocks look.

Janet said...

What a good son you have to keep in touch. I really am smitten with your spiderweb blocks, love them a lot.

AmyJo said...

Wow I really like the red in the Spider Web blocks, I have been wanting to make one of these quilts for years !!