Monday, November 5, 2012

There and back again...


...a quilter's tale about this year's Houston International Quilt Festival.

I and two of my besties headed down to Houston on Thursday and spent the day on Friday at the show.  We did the ENTIRE show, quilts and vendors, in ONE DAY!  And let me tell you I was EXHAUSTED at the end of the day. 

It was not an adventure for the faint of heart.  We spent the first 8 hours just making it through the vendors.  There are so many vendors to see that by about half way through you're visually numb to almost everything because it all starts to look the same.

I could've bought and bought and bought.  But I showed restraint...lol.  Here's my modest haul.

 
Some 1/2 and 1 yard cuts, some fat quarters, and a couple bundles of wool squares...
 
I would like to have found more text prints but I was especially happy to
find Kaffe Spots and Aboriginal Dots in fat quarters.
 

 
A pre-printed panel to quilt, a couple patterns, a soap stone/graphite
pencil, a few stencils, and wedge paper pieces...
 
If you're ever in the market for quilt stencils, I highly recommend
The Stencil Company.  Their selection is the best I've ever seen.
 

 
...and Kathy Doughty's new book that I've been dying to get!
If I ever make it to Australia, Kathy's shop is first on my To Do List.


After all that, the last hour of the show was spent actually looking at the quilts.  While the winners were all amazing, I want to share with you the ones that didn't win the BIG awards and that I was especially smitten with.  In no particular order here are just a few of the quilts.

 
Winding Blade Quilt
by Christine Imbaud of La Rochelle, France
 

 
Zomerse Dag
by Lilija Kostenko of Gouda, The Netherlands
Second Place - Novice
 

 
Starlight Night
by Ghislaine Lucas of Le Conquet, France
 

 
Clarissa
by Aline Joulin of Chaillevette, France


 
From Replica to Replica. Ursula, Doris, and I!
by Simone Patouillard of Sorbiers, France
 


Double Feathered Star
by Gabrielle Paquin of Orleans, France
 

 
Upside Down
by Marie-Josephe Veteau of Steinsoultz, France
 

 
Berne House Quilt
by the members of the Bernese Quilters of Berne, Switzerland

 
My Journey to Baltimore
by Lois Podolny of Tucson, Arizona
 

 
The Age of Discovery
by Setsuko Matsushima of O-Tsu Shi, Shiga, Japan

 
 
Baltimore in the Provence
by Ellen Heck of Somis, California
 

 
Hope
by Yoshiko Miyamoto of Nishinomiya City, Hyogo Ken, Japan

 
Raven Blanket
by Lynn Czaban of Vancouver, Washington


 I have more quilt pictures to share.  But that'll have to wait till tomorrow. 

Till next time...

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Thank you so much for sharing these. Wow. I'm going to have to go to Houston next time!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Wow! The quilts are all gorgeous! Thanks so much for bringing back a little show. :-) Love your 'finds' too! Have a good evening!