Thursday, April 8, 2010

More Show & Tell

I have no new projects to show.  I've been busy cutting kits to sew on a quilting retreat that starts this Sunday. 

It's always hard for me to decide what to work on at retreats.  This time instead of taking UFOs that I don't really want to work on (that's why they're UFOs), I'm going to work on some simple jelly rolls quilts.  I have three ready to go and some embroidery when I need a break from my machine.

So anyways...are you ready for some more Show & Tell?  Let's start of with my very first quilt...a blue and yellow sampler.  It's quite embarrassing to show people but I always like to because its proof positive that we all start somewhere and anyone can improve on their quilting skills if they try hard enough. 


I am 99.9% self taught.  I've only ever taken two classes (face painting on fabric and hand embroidery).  The blocks for this quilt came from those large Better Home & Garden quilt books that show the block full size and don't give you the cutting instructions...do you know the ones I'm talking about?  It was the only book and I had so that's what I used.  I had no clue what a scant quarter inch seam what.  What was supposed to turn out to be twelve 12 1/2" blocks, turned out to be twelve blocks in several sizes.  So I cut and tweaked till they were all the same size.  Here...have a look at my expert piecing....ugh.


Like I said, everyone starts somewhere.  Here is my first paper pieced quilt.  I loved the pattern and was determined to teach myself how to do it.  I call it "The Kimono Storehouse."  I spent weeks scouring store for Oriental prints so that each one would be unique.  Since the pattern did not have directions on HOW to paper piece so I got online and started doing a little research.  So when I was confident that I had the basic idea of how to do it, I had to trace each pattern out onto Golden Threads paper and got started.  I don't want to tell you how many times I had to rip out a seam and try again because the fabric didn't fit the piece I was adding onto...my "research" never told me how to measure the pieces.  In the end though it all turned out.  I am proud to say that today I know how to paper piece correctly thanks to Carol Doak books.


That's all for now.  I am hoping to do some more show and tells once I get a few more photos done.  Till next time...

1 comment:

Karen said...

The kimono piece is very pretty. I pieced blocks of a young girl wearing a kimono in a variety of Oriental prints many years ago. It turned out very well but I don't own the quilt.