As I was writing my post about the Jacksonville show, it occurred to me that it's been
a while since I've really written about anything quilty...8/13/13 to be exact.
I haven't been sitting idle. I've been keeping busy in fact working on several
things...bouncing around from project to project as usual.
I've made some more City Sampler blocks. I have on 18 more to do and then I have all 100.
But to be honest, I'm not sure that I'm going to make the last 18. I have to have this
project pieced, quilted and bound in 4 weeks to be entered into our guild's
show with my friends under the Group category.
Here are my blocks so far. I haven't a clue how I want to set them
or even how many of them I actually want to use.
I've also been spending some time "dying" black and white prints using diluted textile paints. I had planned to do this I think a couple years ago and then never did. I had all the stuff but just never got around to it. Mark Sherman's class gave me just the motivation I needed to do it.
With a ton of paint leftover I decided to experiment a little bit. And I came up with this.
To make it, I traced a deer silhouette I found online onto freezer paper and then
ironed it onto a white Kona fat quarter. Next I diluted some paints and
put them into small spray bottles and this is what I ended up with.
Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I'd like to add more color...maybe. And initially
I thought I would Zentangle the heck out of the deer and then changed my mind.
What I think I'm going to do is quilt the face in so that it gives a ghostly appearance.
Stay tuned to see what happens. I should have it done in a couple years...lol.
On the longarm front I did a little charity quilt. This is #16...
nothing special quilted on it...just a funky free motion flower thingy.
During the past couple of months I also made this quilt from approximately
110 jelly roll strips. This is a shot of what it looked like before I quilted it.
And here are a couple of pics of the free motion quilting
I did on it...a big meandering paisley.
And finally...this is what I'm working on as we speak. It's for a black and white
challenge for a show in West Palm Beach in January I think.
Like the City Sampler, I have to have it done in about four weeks.
The challenge is to come up with a quilt that is black and white with the option of
one or two colors added that equal no more than 25%. The quilt has to be no
more than 160" around. I think this one will come out around 140".
Right now I'm stitching down the fused applique and then it's ready to be quilted